With February being National Children’s Dental Health Month, our team at Vickie Greenberg Orthodontics thought we’d share a few good oral hygiene tips with our patients, courtesy of the American Dental Association, or ADA.
• Teeth brushing techniques: It takes only two minutes to properly brush, using short, gentle strokes and devoting extra attention to the gumline, areas around fillings and hard-to-reach areas such as the back teeth.
• Flossing: hold the floss snugly between thumbs and index finger and place between each of the teeth, making sure to go beneath the gumline and curving the floss around the base of each tooth.
• Snack wisely: choose healthy snacks such as vegetables, fruits and cheese and avoid sticky, chewy candies that can stick to the teeth. If you eat these snacks, make sure to brush after doing so.
• Carbonated or sugary drinks: these beverages create acids that can damage the teeth when mixed with saliva, so they should be avoided altogether. When drinking one of these beverages, avoid sipping on it throughout the day. Rather, have a drink and then brush your teeth.
• Regular dental visits: in addition to seeing Dr. Vickie Greenberg, you should visit your dentist regularly (approximately every six months).
National Children’s Dental Health Month, now in its 61st year, aims to increase awareness about the importance of kids’ oral health. If you have any questions about keeping your mouth healthy, or about your treatment with Dr. Greenberg, please feel free to give us a call!